MemberSeptember 5, 2017 at 1:52 pm
My mom has a stairlift. She went on holiday for a week and I came to the house on the second day. She wanted some lights left on in the house. The third day I came round and one light was switched off. I assumed the bulb had gone. Anyway, she often has trouble with the trip switches turning off and bulbs going. I didn’t think of checking.
On her return she found the stairlift wasn’t working.She called out the engineer who said the battery was flat. The company charged her Â£135.
On thinking more about it I am wondering if the trip switch had switched the power off the stairlift thus making the battery go flat? I remember one time when I was there this happened and the stairlift was making a beeping sound.Also it stopped working. A light bulb had gone too.I checked the trip switches and one was off.I put it back on and the stairlift worked again.
So I think this could have happened during the week she was away and she sadly was charged Â£135.
Is this problem common? Should she have been charged for this? It seems unfair.
MemberSeptember 5, 2017 at 4:12 pm
It sounds like the light bulb has blown and caused the trip. The beeping is the way of the lift warning you both audibly and visualy from the diagnostic display that it was not on charge. Left off charge batteries will discharge and result in the lift not working. Much like a car or tv remote control, batteries are a consumable item. With being flat they could have potentially been damaged internally so would never recover to full potential had the option been taken to not replace and just leave the lift on charge, potentially resulting in a further visit to the stairlift to then replace the batteries.
Log in to reply.